Monday, June 20, 2011

A Little Overboard

Birthday Companions
I feel utterly unlike myself because I didn't buy Jimmy a birthday present.  He did get a somewhat expensive guitar a month ago that we decided would be his "present."  Plus, the fact that I don't bring in any money at the moment would have made me feel incredibly wrong to spend his money on his presents.


I would normally go a little overboard buying him anything he had mentioned wanting, within reason, the months leading up to his birthday.  We'd go out to dinner, maybe a movie, there'd be a mountain of presents to open, but we are in different circumstances at the moment.

That doesn't mean I didn't go overboard in another way.  Jim had an idea.  And how our relationship works is, Jim has and Idea and I Make It Happen.  He wanted to eat dessert all day for his birthday.  Of course, we knew this was a bad idea, but as he told me as I was making all this stuff, "I need to do this now, I won't be able to do this when I'm fifty."


Ganache Everywhere!

These are my favorites.
It started last night with cheesecake, one of his favorites (mine, too.)  But not just any cheesecake.  I made Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Cupcakes.  I also made ganache to ice the little monsters but then I figured that would be a little too rich, so I just kinda flung it around on top of them.  Jim ate one before they had a chance to cool.


So cute
Then this morning I made him Birthday Cake Pancakes.  Now, I'm not totally crazy.  I just put sprinkles in regular pancake batter.  I didn't use cake batter.  That would have been too much.  I paired those with chocolate covered strawberries and blueberries.  Jim then proceeded to slather them in peanut butter and syrup.


Happy Birthday to Jimmmmmmyyyyyyyy!













The last baked good I made were the Moon Pies.  For those of you who don't know exactly what a Moon Pie is, it's two shortbread cookies with a marshmallow filling, like a cookie sandwich, covered in chocolate.  Having no experience making shortbread cookie dough before, this was somewhat time consuming for me as I was learning as I went along.  They turned out incredibly sweet.  I mean, have-to-take-a break-halfway-through sweet.


Sweeeeeeeeeeet
Oh Lord
















I did talk him into having a regular dinner.  We picked up some steaks yesterday and I had it all planned out.   But I kinda went overboard on that, too, and the steak turned out too salty.  I don't want to go into that.  It was not a proud moment for me in my culinary journey.  The only good thing about it was the vegetables we consumed.



Now the day is done.  I still have to work out.  Jim has to go to work his physically demanding job.  The only bad effects out of this experience seem to be sugar highs and lows, headaches, queasy stomachs, guilty glances down at our bellies, and as I write this a shooting pain in my left arm.  Kidding (kinda.)




So Happy Birthday, my love.  I will never do this again.

Much Too Much

No comments:

Post a Comment